The 55th parallel north is a circle of latitude that is 55 degrees north of the Earth's equatorial plane. It crosses Europe, Asia, the Pacific Ocean, North America, and the Atlantic Ocean.
At this latitude the sun is visible for 17 hours, 22 minutes during the summer solstice and 7 hours, 10 minutes during the winter solstice.
Around the world
Starting at the Prime Meridian and heading eastwards, the parallel 55° north passes through:
Notable cities and towns on 55°N
Starting at the Prime Meridian and heading eastwards:
- Omsk, Omsk Oblast, Russia
- Novosibirsk, Novosibirsk Oblast, Russia
- Derry, Northern Ireland, UK
- Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
- South Shields, England, UK
- Thompson, Manitoba, Canada
- Copenhagen, Denmark
Use as a boundary
The 55th parallel serves as the southern boundary of Nunavik territory in Quebec.