از ویکیپدیا، دانشنامهٔ آزاد
- Constitutionalism and Political Reconstruction, edited with an introduction, Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2007 (in press).
- Constitutional Politics in the Middle East, edited with an introduction, London: Hart Publishers, 2007 (in press).
- Rethinking Civilizational Analysis, edited with Edward A. Tiryakian, London: Sage Publishers, 2004.
- The Shadow of God and the Hidden Imam: Religion, Political Organization and Societal Change in Shi'ite Iran from the Beginning to 1890, the University of Chicago Press, 1984
- The Turban for the Crown. The Islamic revolution in Iran, Oxford University Press, 1988
- The Political Dimensions of Religion, edited with an introduction, State University of New York Press, 1993.
- The Kingdom of Jurists: Constitutionalism in Iran, in Constitutionalism in Islamic Countries: Between Upheaval and Continuity (eds. Rainer Grote and Tilmann Röder, Oxford/New York: OUP 2011) (in Press)
- Constitutionalism and Political Reconstruction, edited with an introduction, Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2007.
- Constitutional Politics in the Middle East, edited with an introduction, London: Hart Publishers, 2007.
- Islam, Political Change and Globalization, Thesis Eleven, 76 (2004), pp. 5–24.
- Rationalization, the Constitution of Meaning and Institutional Development, in C. Camic & H. Joas, eds. , The Dialogical Turn. New Roles for Sociology in the Post-Disciplinary Age, Rowman & Littlefield, 2004, pp. 247–74.
- Coffeehouses, Guilds & Oriental Despotism: Government & Civil Society in late-17th-early 18th Century Istanbul and Isfahan, and as seen from Paris & London, Archives européennes de sociologie/European Journal of Sociology, 45.1 (2004), pp. 23–42.
- Social Theory and the Changing World: Mass Democracy, Development, Modernization and Globalization, International Sociology, 19.3 (2004), pp. 321–53.
- Modernita, tradizione e la riforma schi`ita nell Iran contemporanea, Sociologia del diritto, XXVIII.2 (2001, forthcoming).
- The Reform Movement and the Debate on Modernity and Tradition in Contemporary Iran, International Journal of Middle East Studies (forthcoming).
- Perso-Indian Statecraft, Greek Political Science and the Muslim Idea of Government, International Sociology, 16.3 (2001), pp. 461–480.
- Authority in Shi`ism and Constitutional Developments in the Islamic Republic of Iran, in W. Ende & R. Brunner, eds. , The Twelver Shia in Modern Times: Religious Culture & Political History, Leiden: Brill, 2000, pp. 301–332.
- Civil Society and the Rule of Law in the Constitutional Politics of Iran under Khatami, Social Research, 76.2 (2000), pp. 283–301.
- The Law, Agency and Policy in Medieval Islamic Society: Development of the Institutions of Learning from the Tenth to the Fifteenth Century, Comparative Studies in Society and History, 41.2 (1999), pp 263–293.
- Islamic Apocalypticism in the Classical Period, in B. McGinn, ed. , The Encyclopedia of Apocalypticism, New York: Continuum, vol. 2, 1998, pp. 238–283.
- The Consolation of Theology: The Shi`ite Doctrine of Occultation and the Transition from Chiliasm to Law, 76.4 (1996): pp. 548–571.
- Crisis of the Imamate and the Institution of Occultation in Twelver Shi`ism: a Sociohistorical Perspective, International Journal of Middle East Studies 28.4 (1996): pp. 491–515.
- Unity and Diversity in Islamic Fundamentalism, in M. Marty and R.S. Appleby, eds. , Fundamentalisms Comprehended, the University of Chicago Press, 1995, pp. 179–198.
- Religious Human Rights and the Principle of Legal Pluralism in the Middle East, in J. van der Vyver and J. Witte, eds. , Religious Human Rights in Global Perspective, Vol. 2: Legal Perspectives, M. Nijhoff, 1995, pp. 331–347.