This article needs additional citations for verification
. (September 2015)
|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Actual use||Fairly popular in South Korea|
|Registration restrictions||Registrants must have a local presence within South Korea|
|Structure||Domain names contains Korean Hangul only plus optional numbers and hyphens, and are registered at the second level.|
.kr is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the Republic of Korea (South Korea). Registrations are processed via registration agents.
From September 2006, it became possible to register domain names directly under .kr (although this is currently only possible for internationalized domain names). Trademark holders and public bodies benefited from an "early registration period", after which the owners of .kr third-level domains had priority to get the corresponding second-level domains.
1. Sunrise I (September 18–November 20, 2006)
2. Sunrise II (November 21–February 27, 2007)
- A holder of 3rd level .kr domain
- The registered 3rd level domain and the 3rd level domain should be registered before March 13, 2006
- The full name of registered trademark using same alphabetical order
3. Landrush (March 28–April 11, 2007)
- Anyone or any business entity who has an address in the territory
4. General Registration (from April 19. 2007)
- First-come first-served basis
In 2011 a new top-level domain was registered for South Korea, intended for domain names in the local language. The top-level domain is .한국 domain names and working sites became active during 2011.
Domains and subdomains
Defunct domains and subdomains
|Domains and Subdomains
||Reasons for cessation
||Revision of the Korean romanization[e]
||Changed to the .ne.kr
.kr domains are sometimes used as domain hacks such as flic.kr, an alternative address for Flickr.
New generic top level domains (new gTLDs) registered by South Korean organizations or individuals
- .doosan: A new brand gTLD for the Doosan Group.
- .hyundai: A new brand gTLD for the Hyundai Motor Group.
- .kia: A new brand gTLD for Kia Motors.
- .samsung: A new brand gTLD for the Samsung Group.
- .lotte: A new brand gTLD for the Lotte Group.
- .닷넷 (
.xn--t60b56a; .dat-net): A new technology gTLD. Korean Hangul transliteration of English "dotnet."
- .닷컴 (
.xn--mk1bu44c; .dat-keom): A new technology gTLD. Korean Hangul transliteration of English "dotcom."
- .삼성 (
.xn--cg4bki; .Samseong): A new brand gTLD for the Samsung Group.