صفیه بنت عبدالمطلب
صفیه دختر عبدالمطلب از صحابیات محمّد پیامبر اسلام بود. پدر صفیه، شیبه پسر هاشم پسر عبدمناف پسر قصی (عبدالمطلب) و مادرش دختر وهیب پسر عبدمناف پسر زهره پسر کلاب بود. صفیه خواهر حمزه پسر عبدالمطلب بود. صفیه هم چنین عمّه محمّد و علی به شمار میرفت. او پیش از اسلام با حارث پسر حرب ازدواج کرده بود. پس از اسلام آوردن، با عوّام پسر خویلد ازدواج کرد. صفیه از این ازدواج پسری به نام زبیر پسر عوام زایید. صفیه در سال بیستم هجرت و در دوران خلافت عمر درگذشت. عمر بر پیکر او نمازگزارد. صفیه در بقیع دفن شد.
Safiyya was the daughter of Abd al-Muttalib ibn Hashim and Halah bint Wuhayb ibn Abd Manaf ibn Zuhrah,:29 hence the full sister of Hamza and an aunt of Muhammad and Ali. She was also the maternal aunt of Uthman's mother Arwa bint Kurayz. She was about ten years old when her father died, and an elegy for him is attributed to her.
I could not sleep for the voices of the keening women,
Her second husband was Awwam ibn Khuwaylid, a brother of Khadija, who lived next door to them. Safiyya and Awwam had three sons: Al-Zubayr, Al-Sa'ib and Abdulkaaba.:29 Awwam died while their children were young.:76
Safiyya used to beat her son Al-Zubayr severely. The neighbours protested about this. "You have killed him! You have wrenched his heart. Will you destroy the boy?" Safiya replied, "I beat him so that he will be intelligent and will be bold in the battle.":76
Conversion to Islam
When Muhammad began preaching in public, he gave a special warning to the members of his immediate family.
Emigration to Medina
Battle of Uhud
When the Muslims fled from Uhud in 625, Safiyya met them with a spear in her hand, accusing them of deserting their prophet. Her son Al-Zubayr warned her, "Mother, keep back!" She approached and looked at what her son had tried to hide from her: the mutilated corpse of her brother Hamza.:29 An elegy for Hamza is attributed to her:
God the true, the Lord of the Throne,
Battle of the Trench
During the Battle of the Trench in 627, Safiyya was among the Muslim women who were placed for safety in Fari, the fortress of Hassan ibn Thabit. Safiyyah noticed a Jew in the grounds of the fortress and "feared that he would discover our weakness and inform the Jews who were in our rear while the apostle and his companions were too occupied to help us.":458 She told Hassan to go down and kill him. When Hassan hesitated, she went down "stealthily", opened the door "little by little":29 until she could creep up behind the supposed spy, then hit him with a club and killed him. She then told Hassan to strip the corpse, but Hassan still refused to act.:458 (Note that Ibn Saad attributes this episode to the Battle of Uhud.:29)
Siege of Khaybar
Several elegies for Muhammad are attributed to Safiyyah, the following among them.
O my eyes! shed tears flowing,
Marriage of her children
1. ￼al-Zubayr ibn Awwam, married Atikah bint Zayd, Rubab bint Anif, Umm Khalid bint Khalid, Umm Kulthum bint Uqba, Tumadir bint al-Asbagh, Asma bint Abi Bakr and Hala bint Qays. He also had many sons and daughters.
2. Abdu'l Ka'ba (Abdulrahman ibn Awam) married Jamila bint Abd-al-Uzza and had son Abdullah bin Abdurrahman.
3. Hind ￼bint Awwam, married Zayd ibn Harithah and had a son, Abdallah
4. Zaynab bint al-Awwam, married Hakim ibn Hizam and had 4 sons, Abdallah, Khalid, Yahya, Hisham. But her husband and four sons became muslim in Conquest of Mecca, Zaynab was early became muslim
5. Umm Habib (Habiba) bint al-Awwam, married Khalid ibn Hizam and had children￼, Habib (Abu Hubayb) and Umm-al-Hassan (Hasana)